Application Developer, Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN)
Location: Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Throughout the 20th century, BASF has played a leading role in agriculture and nutrition. BASF Plant Science (BPS) was founded in 1998 and is represented at seven sites in four countries. With this international network of expertise, BPS is especially well equipped to be a leader in plant biotechnology. We develop sustainable solutions for superior agricultural productivity, better and healthier nutrition and renewable resources. Leadership, creativity, teamwork and passion combined with our unique plant biotechnology expertise are the foundation for our success. The IT & Bioinformatics group within BPS strives to provide the community we support with technology that will give them the competitive edge in our industry.
As part of the IT & BI staff of BPS in North America and the Global LIMS Sub-Function, the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN) Applications Developer will be primarily responsible for developing, implementing and supporting LIMS software applications used by scientists for research processes in a laboratory environment, as well as implementing the ELN eWorkbook solution and supporting its users in research at RTP. The Developer may also undertake collaborative initiatives with other BPS and BASF colleagues, as well as those outside the company.
Tasks related to this position will involve, but are not limited to:
- Implementing the ELN application in BPS at RTP to replace handwritten lab notebooks
- Developing new LIMS functionality and enhancing or extending existing LIMS applications for scientists in BPS
- Configuring new ELN functionality for scientists at RTP
- Responding to user questions
- Testing changes/updates
- Helping create & maintain application documentation (ie. user manuals, training documents)
- Performing designated administrative functions
- Helping with training of users
- Aiding in day-to-day processes
- Participating in other IT or BI related groups/projects, as necessary and assigned
This position will be based in RTP, NC and may require travel to other BPS locations.
- BS degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Biology, or a closely related field with at least 5 years application development experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of client server systems such as Oracle RDBMS or SQL Server
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
- Demonstrated knowledge of development tools such as ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#, AJAX.NET, .NET 2.0 or higher versions
- 3 or more years experience in systems analysis and database concepts
- 3 years experience developing LIMS applications in the biotechnology sector (including academic or industry involvement), supporting LIMS software applications, or 5 years experience supporting LIMS application development in a Life Sciences environment, or 3 years experience implementing and supporting an IDBS eWorkbook instance or 5 years experience supporting an ELN from a different solution vendor
- Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of LIMS solution
- Demonstrated ability to understand the basic scientific concepts involved in plant biotechnology, to enable effective requirements gathering and user support activities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability and willingness to handle confidential information and data
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining a high degree of detailed attentiveness
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work in order to meet day-to-day, short term and long term requirements
- At least 3 years experience working in a plant biotechnology R&D or IT& Bioinformatics group
- Previous experience in developing and writing application user manuals and preparing user training documents
- Foreign language capabilities (ie. German, Spanish, Portuguese, French or Chinese) would be a benefit to any candidate.
BASF is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
APPLY ONLINE: CLICK HERE
More positions from: BASF Plant Science
Posted from January 19, 2012 until July 19, 2012
SeedQuest reference number: 23812