Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
Biogemma USA Corp is a US corporation which evaluates and performs research on new and unique regulated biotechnological traits developed by our parent corporation, Biogemma, a European biotechnology company. We evaluate these new technologies in the United States under strict quality controls mandated by both US government regulators and our own internal quality control standards.
We are looking for a highly motivated Research Associate with interests in both molecular technologies and field agronomic research areas to manage our corn and wheat nurseries and to lead regulatory our compliance activities for our nurseries and field testing. This person will work with the Field Trials Manager and the US Corporate Manager to monitor work performed by third-party providers of regulated GMO nurseries and yield trials in the US, including Puerto Rico. The Research Associate will also support all research activities at the Ames, Iowa, research facility.
The primary activities of the candidate will be to: 1) design, set-up, and manage the corn and wheat nurseries to produce seeds for regulated genetically modified field trials, and 2) manage all regulatory requirements and documentation for regulated GMO field trials with APHIS.
Additional responsibilities include assisting with the selection of field trial locations, supervision and training of temporary employees, and management of specific research projects. Part of these activities will be done in co-ordination with the Field Trials Manager who is responsible for corn and wheat agronomic field evaluations.
This position requires good coordination and communication skills for working with service providers in the private and public sectors, research teams in Europe, with the breeding teams of Biogemma shareholders in US and in Europe, and with the USDA and APHIS. This position requires travelling to various states of the US, Puerto Rico and periodic trips to France. Corn and wheat breeding activities require extended hours during planting, pollinating, and harvest seasons. louis vuitton outlet louis vuitton handbags
- Management of regulatory compliance, notification submission and follow up, and relationships with APHIS and USDA
- Design and management of corn and wheat field nurseries including seed inventory, seed preparation for planting, chemical applications, plot maintenance, pollination, tissue sampling, harvest and seed processing, data collection, and summaries
- Compliance with regulatory standards, monitoring GMO regulatory guidelines, and training of providers in procedures
- Maintaining good relationships with service providers including frequent site visits
- Frequent reporting on research activities to his/her supervisor
- MS or BS degree with one to four years of experience in Agronomy, Plant Breeding, Crop Science, Plant Genetics, Crop Protection, or Biological Sciences
- Experience or interest to learn about with regulated (GMO) material and associated USDA-APHIS requirements, with attention to all details of the compliance requirements
- Experience/interest in experimental field plot and nursery management.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and organizational skills
- Computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software, and database management in a network environment
- Availability for numerous trips per year in the Midwest and in France
- Ability to work outdoors in diverse field environments and lift at least 40 pounds of equipment
Additional Desired Skills
- Well organized, attention to detail, and self-motivated
- Good interpersonal skills, team player
Please send CV and a cover letter to
Dr. Dana L. Eaton
Biogemma US Corporate Manager
To be processed, your e-mail must contain "12-GMTD-003-RA" in the object line
More positions from: Biogemma
Posted from April 6, 2012 until October 6, 2012
SeedQuest reference number: 25933