Location: Vicar, Almeria, Spain
TogenMate is an agricultural company based on Almeria that is aimed to develop new varieties of horticultural crops of interest for the Almeria region.
TogenMate is seeking a highly motivated individual to lead his tomato breeding program and work as part of a multidisciplinary tomato breeding team. This job is an excellent opportunity for a young experienced plant breeder to manage a breeding program in collaboration with a multidisciplinary R&D team to obtain new high quality tomato varieties.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development of new tomato hybrids and for the management of the pre-commercial product. This job provides opportunities for application of novel breeding approaches/methodologies for the development of new high quality tomato varieties.
The company offers an excellent competitive salary with good benefit package. The company is in a growth and expansion mode and offers good opportunities for those individuals with the adequate expertise.
Main responsibilities include:
- Direction and management of a commercial tomato breeding program.
This will include among others: generate and evaluate breeding populations; use of molecular markers to incorporate genes for quality traits and disease resistance; coordination, placement and evaluation of trials; taking decision concerning line and hybrid advancement; documentation of performance and all requirements for variety advancement;
- Utilization of all relevant breeding technologies with appropriate allocation of resources directed at the successful development of commercial products
- To coordinate the activities with TogenMate associated academic research team, to enhance effectiveness and efficiency of the breeding program.
- Achieve pre-commercial hybrid advancement targets and make recommendations to TogenMate members.
- Travel to specific site required for trial and product evaluations.
- Responsible for the training and compliance of his/her research team with all safety and health policies.
- Oversight of tomato breeding-related activities.
- Manage budget cost and appropriate allocation of resources - both current and long range.
- Recruiting, training, and development of research support personnel.
- Management of interaction with R&D academic teams, and to apply, execute and present the corresponding reports of collaborative and research funding programs from local, autonomous and central research funding bodies
- Minimum five years of working experience in plant breeding/genetics and/ of which at least 3 years in tomato in a breeding / seed company.
- Strong background in Plant Breeding and Genetics and other relevant fields for this job.
- PhD Desirable, however a Masters in the field of Plant Breeding, Plant Physiology, Plant Pathology, etc. would suffice with proper industry experience
- Strong background in plant breeding, genetics, field plot and experimental deseign techniques and statistical analysis, molecular biology, and molecular marker application to plant breeding.
- Demonstrated success in technical expertise, scientific creativity, and interaction/ collaboration with others.
- Excellent managerial and organizational skills; ability to achieve multiple tasks and milestones.
- Ability to work as part of a team with multidisciplinary goups from companies and academia environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Spanish language fluency is necessary. To develop its activity in the Almeria region.
Please join us by e-mail (resume/CV+cover letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org
More positions from: Eurosol SAT
Posted from April 12, 2012 until October 12, 2012
SeedQuest reference number: 26052