Location: Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We link and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
BASF - the Chemical Company - consolidated its plant biotechnology activities in BASF Plant Science in 1998. Today, about 700 employees are working to optimize crops for more efficient agriculture, renewable raw materials and healthier nutrition. BASF Plant Science Video
We are currently seeking a Scientist who will be a member of the BioAssay and Cloning function within the BASF Plant Science organization. This team performs critical activities necessary to advance BPS's plant biotechnology projects from idea to marketplace. These research and development projects focus on enhancing crop performance, productivity, nutritional value, and overall plant health.
BPS is seeking to appoint a Agronomic Trait Scientist for its Research Triangle Park, NC location. The AT Scientist will work as part of a team that implements novel phenotypic screens for crop-based gene discovery research. The individual will work closely with the project teams in developing strategies and methodologies in the area of Crop Physiology and will lead the implementation of work plans with multiple Teams. The incumbent will have practical experience in leading projects, developing experimental designs, and performing physiological assays.
- Coordinate and perform in vitro bioassay experiments for characterization of leads as well as for hypothesis generation and lead identification
- Contribute expertise and knowledge relevant to crop improvement in the Agronomic Traits such as abiotic stress and crop yield
- Identification of novel approaches and bioassays to evaluating durable improvement of agronomic traits
- Communicate goals, objectives and results to various research groups and function
QUALIFICATIONS: -BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- PhD degree in Plant Physiology, Agronomy, Plant Molecular Biology or related field, with 2 years experience in conducting independent research -OR- MS degree in Plant Physiology, Agronomy, Plant Molecular Biology or related field, with 7 years experience in conducting independent research-OR -BS degree in Plant Physiology, Agronomy, Plant Molecular Biology or related field, with 10 years experience in conducting independent research. Additional experience may be substituted for educational requirement. BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- At least 1 year of experience originating novel scientific hypotheses on yield improvement in monocot and/dicot crop plants, and developing and running in vitro bioassays to test those hypotheses
- Experience with tissue culture and transformation of crop plants
- Experience analyzing and interpreting physiological data on plants in field settings and in growth chamber and greenhouse settings
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong leadership and decision making skills
- Willing to travel 5-10% of the time
- PhD degree in Plant Physiology, Agronomy, Plant Molecular Biology or related field, with a minimum of 2 years post-PhD experience in conducting independent research
- A strong background in high-throughput screen technology
- A strong understanding of genetics and/or molecular biology
- Demonstrated experience with transcript, protein and metabolite profiling technologies
- Demonstrated experience with Image analysis software used in the industry
This position is within a job family and will be filled at a level applicable to the incumbent's qualifications.
BASF is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
APPLY ONLINE: CLICK HERE
More positions from: BASF Plant Science
Posted from April 13, 2012 until October 13, 2012
SeedQuest reference number: 26083