Applied Genetics Associate
Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We link and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
BASF - the Chemical Company - consolidated its plant biotechnology activities in BASF Plant Science in 1998. Today, about 700 employees are working to optimize crops for more efficient agriculture, renewable raw materials and healthier nutrition. We are currently seeking an Applied Genetics Associate.
The Applied Genetics Associate is a member of the Development team within the BASF Plant Science organization. Under supervision of the Applied Genetics Manager, the Applied Genetics Associate will supervise seed processing, packaging and inventory functions for regulated rice, soy, corn, and canola projects at the seed conditioning and storage facility in Ames, Iowa. The incumbent is expected to design, supervise, and execute regulated seed conditioning, storage, and shipment processes, as well as field trial packaging. Responsibilities include mid - and near-term seed conditioning planning and execution with multiple crop Development, Quality, Laboratory, and Regulatory Compliance Managers in the U.S. and Europe. The incumbent is expected to draw on experience and education to independently innovate, develop, and implement novel improvements to seed processing and conditioning methods for rice, soy, corn, and canola. Maintaining compliance with corporate and government (USDA) policies is a priority objective.
QUALIFICATIONS: - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- M.S. Degree in Agriculture, Biological Sciences, or related field -OR- B.S. Degree in Agriculture, Biological Sciences, or related field plus 3 years experience -OR- A.A. Degree in Agriculture, Biological Sciences, or related field plus 7 years experience
- Demonstrated experience in seed operations with at least one of the company's core crops (corn, rice, soybean, canola), and must include demonstrable experience in completing seed conditioning, seed inventory, seed storage and shipment, data management
- Experience supervising full-time and/or temp labor during peak seasonal periods
- Intermediate skill proficiency in MS Office, particularly Excel and e-mail applications
- M.S. Degree in Agriculture, Biological Sciences, or related field plus 4 years experience -OR- B.S. Degree in Agriculture, Biological Sciences, or related field plus 7 years experience
- Experience working in a regulated seed (GMO) environment
- Experience managing regulated small plot nursery seed production and conditioning on both the US Mainland and Hawaii or Puerto Rico
- Previous experience managing all operational aspects cited above, for more than one of the core crops; corn, rice, soybean, or canola, with rice and canola being the highest priority
This position is within a job family and will be filled at a level applicable to the incumbent's qualifications.
BASF is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
More positions from: BASF Plant Science
Posted from April 17, 2012 until October 17, 2012
SeedQuest reference number: 26173