Location: Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India
Monsanto is an agricultural company. We apply innovation and technology to help farmers around the world produce more while conserving more. We help farmers grow yield sustainably so they can be successful, produce healthier foods, better animal feeds and more fiber, while also reducing agriculture's impact on our environment, with thoughtful and effective stewardship.
Monsanto is seeking a highly motivated individual to become an integral member of a multidisciplinary India vegetable R&D team and the global tomato breeding program. This is a superb opportunity to manage a breeding program in collaboration with outstanding technology support functions to develop successful new products for India. As a breeder, you will have primary responsibilities for the development of improved tomato hybrids and management of the early pre-commercial product pipeline for the targeted market segments. A significant amount of interaction and collaboration is expected with the global tomato breeders and the India R&D team. As a member of the India tomato crop team, there will be direct interaction with the technology development and the commercial organizations ensuring that the breeding program is aligned with the commercial objectives. The successful candidate will also manage, design, develop, and implement the tomato breeding research projects in collaboration with scientists in fields such as marker applications, pathology, and crop management. You will have direct management responsibility of your breeding staff and budget. This role offers the prospect of working with the world's largest global agronomic and vegetable breeding organization that possesses state of the art breeding technology tools and analytical platforms.
Key responsibilities include:
- Direction and management of all components of a successful commercial tomato breeding program.
Including, but not limited to:creation and evaluation of breeding populations; utilization of molecular markers to incorporate genes for the target traits; coordinate, place and evaluate trials in major production areas in India; make line and hybrid advancement decisions in coordination with the crop team; fulfill requirements for variety advancement through documentation of performance; production of required breeder's seed.
- Utilization of all relevant breeding technologies with appropriate allocation of resources directed at the successful development of commercial products for key market segments.
- Through engagement and collaborative interaction with breeding technology communities across Monsanto, identify, research, and eventually apply those to your breeding program that
enhance effectiveness and efficiency of the program.
- Achieve pre-commercial hybrid advancement targets and make recommendations to appropriate India and other regional crop teams.
- Travel to key market locations required for trial and product evaluations.
- Ensure that the research team is trained and compliant with Monsanto Environmental Safety and Health (ESH) policies to ensure safe operations of the research program.
- Manage budget cost center and appropriate allocation of resources - both current and long term.
- Recruiting, training, and development of research support personnel.
- Ph.D. in plant breeding and genetics or related fields.
- Strong background in plant breeding, genetics, field plot technique and statistical analysis, molecular biology, and molecular marker application to plant breeding.
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and collaboration with others.
- Excellent managerial and organizational skills; ability to balance multiple tasks and deliver milestones.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment with multidisciplinary teams; effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Leadership capabilities within the technology community that can extend into other functional areas.
To apply for this position, copy/paste the following URL into your browser:
More positions from: Monsanto Company
Posted from April 19, 2012 until October 19, 2012
SeedQuest reference number: 26253