Location: Estherville, Iowa, USA
We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We link and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
BASF the Chemical Company consolidated its plant biotechnology activities in BASF Plant Science in 1998. Today, about 800 employees are working to optimize crops for more efficient agriculture, renewable raw materials and healthier nutrition. We are currently seeking Associates Scientists in the; Bio assays & cloning, DNA/RNA Analytics and Metabolite & Protein Analytics functions.
This position works as part of the Seed Activities team within the BASF Plant Science organization. This team performs critical activities necessary to advance our plant breeding and biotechnology projects from idea to marketplace as fast and effective as possible. These research and development projects focus on enhancing crop performance, productivity, nutritional value, and overall plant health. This position is responsible for supporting the Nursery and Plant Breeding Supervisor in all activities of the BASF Plant Science Breeding program located in Estherville, IA. Activities include, but are not limited to the processing, counting and assembly of seed for nursery and yield trials, scouting nurseries for insects and disease, planting, detasseling, hand pollination in summer and winter nurseries, harvesting of nursery and yield trial plots. Use of transport vehicles to move research equipment and operate such equipment, including performance of periodic inspections and maintenance of field and lab equipment, is required. This position will also be responsible for the supervision of seasonal temporary help.
BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- BS degree in agricultural or related field -ORAssociates degree with 3 years experience in the agricultural area or seed research -ORHigh school diploma and 12 years experience in the agricultural area or seed research
- Ability to communicate and interact with the Nursery and Plant Breeding Supervisor and other research personnel, both at this and other research locations
- Demonstrated experience using a semi-tractor/trailer to move oversized equipment and operate such equipment, including performance of periodic inspections and maintenance of field and lab equipment
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and Department of Transportation (DOT) certifications upon hire or required within 6 months of hire date
- Restricted Use Pesticide Applicators license upon hire or acquired within 6 months of hire date
- Must have outdoor field work experience and the ability and willingness to work in adverse environmental conditions including heat, cold, wind, rain, and sunshine
- Ability and willingness to travel up to week at a time 2 weeks to winter nurseries
- Intermediate computer skills using email, MS office products (in particular Excel), and internet
- Experience in seed corn research, especially supervision of seasonal and temporary personnel
- An agricultural farm background
- Experience using plant breeding research databases
This position is within a job family and will be filled at a level applicable to the incumbent's qualifications.
More positions from: BASF Plant Science
Posted from May 10, 2012 until November 10, 2012
SeedQuest reference number: 26791