Lab Manager, Plant Science
Location: Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
DESCRIPTION: Lab Manager: DNA and RNA Analysis We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We link and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
BASF the Chemical Company consolidated its plant biotechnology activities in BASF Plant Science in 1998. Today, about 800 employees are working to optimize crops for more efficient agriculture, renewable raw materials and healthier nutrition. BASF Plant Science is dedicated to cutting edge plant biotechnology research to serve the community as The Trait Technology Partner. Our motto is "Innovation Yields Results".
We are currently seeking a Lab Manager in the DNA/RNA Analytics function. This function provides technological research services that contribute to trait discovery at BASF Plant Science and helps advance our research projects to commercialization. The candidate in this position will lead the DNA Analytics group, focused on DNA and RNA analysis and support for all projects and functions. In addition, the tasks include competitor watch as well as strategic planning for the area of responsibility. This position will work closely with the Local Function Head (LFH) of DNA and RNA Analytics, as well as other lab managers across functions to ensure project timelines are met, goals are accomplished, and to establish and keep within budgets.
Further responsibilities include:
- Plans & supervises services and/or work packages, to be delivered to projects and other functions
- Works with team members to improve current processes, develop and implement novel DNA and RNA analytics tools
- Supports the local and global functional leadership of the DNA and RNA analytics group.
- Responsible, together with functional and local administrative management for the implementation and adherence to all applicable safety, stewardship and other legal requirements
- As a supervisor of the DNA Analytics group, is responsible for the technical leadership and the career development of employees within this team
- Is aware of competition and works with the local function head to develop concepts for implementation of novel strategies
QUALIFICATIONS: BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- Ph.D. degree in Molecular biology or related field with 2 years of laboratory experience in DNA or RNA analysis -ORMS degree in Molecular biology or related field with 7 years of laboratory experience in DNA or RNA analysis -ORBachelor degree in Molecular biology or related field with 10 years of laboratory experience in DNA or RNA analysis
- Demonstrated experience with DNA or RNA manipulation techniques including purification, quantification, and PCR
- At least 1 year of demonstrated experience in high throughput DNA analysis including real-time PCR
- Creative problem solving skills, strong planning and organizational capabilities with a strong sense of time management and multitasking ability
- Demonstrated leadership or mentoring experience and success working with customers and other researchers
- Proficiency in written and oral communication with a strong customer focus
- Data management experience using appropriate software tools, such as Excel
- Background knowledge in plant molecular biology
- Experience in laboratory automation
- Experience working in intercultural team environments
- Plant biotechnology industry experience
To APPLY ONLINE, please use the following URL: http://on.basf.com/labmng1201389
More positions from: BASF Plant Science
Posted from June 13, 2012 until December 13, 2012
SeedQuest reference number: 27602