Breeders, Hot Pepper, Tomato and Cucumber
Collaborating. Inspiring. Leading.
Monsanto has always embraced innovation and always focused on making a better world. You can see it in our groundbreaking technology and in our dynamic environment where your skills and your career can grow and develop. We know that every day, new ideas can come from anyone, anywhere. You’ll be respected, you’ll contribute to the bottom line and you’ll help farmers feed the world.
Monsanto is seeking a highly motivated individual to become an integral member of China vegetable R&D team, and a multidisciplinary breeding team. This is a superb opportunity to manage a breeding program in collaboration with a large, multidisciplinary global R&D teams to obtain successful new products. As a breeder you will have primary responsibilities for the development of new improved hybrids and management of the pre-commercial product pipeline for targeted global market segments. A significant amount of interaction and collaboration is expected with other breeders and R&D team members.
There is direct interaction with breeding technology, pathology, foundation/stock seed, field trial, technology development, and the commercial organization. The qualified candidate will also manage design, development, and implementation of breeding research projects in collaboration with scientists in fields such as pathology, crop management, and breeding technology. You will have direct management responsibility of your breeding staff and budget management.
Key Business Accountabilities:
- Direction and management of all components of a successful commercial pepper breeding program. Including, but not limited to:
- Creation and evaluation of breeding populations.
- Utilization of molecular markers to incorporate genes for disease resistance and quality traits.
- Coordinate, place and evaluate trials in major global market segments.
- Make line and hybrid advancement decisions.
- Fulfill requirements for variety advancement through documentation of performance.
- Completion of required breeder's seed.
- Utilization of all relevant breeding technologies with appropriate allocation of resources directed at the successful development of commercial products for key global market segments.
- Through engagement and collaborative interaction with breeding technology communities across Monsanto, identify, research, and eventually apply those to your breeding program to enhance efficiency.
- Achieve pre-commercial hybrid advancement targets and make recommendations to China and regional crop teams.
- Travel to key regional and global market segments required for trial and product evaluations.
- Ensure that the research team is trained and compliant with Monsanto Environmental Safety and Health (ESH) policies to ensure safe operations.
- Oversight of vegetable specific breeding-related activities in China.
- Manage budget cost center and appropriate allocation of resources – both current and long range.
- Recruiting, training, and development of research support personnel.
Core Business/Functional Skills and Education:
- Ph.D. in Plant Breeding and Genetics or relevant fields is required. Graduate education or working experience in the western world, Europe, North America, etc. is desired.
- Strong background in plant breeding, genetics, field plot technique and statistical analysis, molecular biology, and molecular marker application to plant breeding.
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and collaboration with others.
- Excellent managerial and organizational skills; ability to balance multiple tasks and achieve milestones.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment with multidisciplinary teams; effective verbal communication skills.
- Leadership capabilities within the technology community that can extend into other functional areas.
- English and Chinese language fluency is necessary.
- Minimum three years of working experience in plant breeding/genetics is preferred.
- Knowledge of quantitative genetics, functional genomics, genetic statistical theory, and experimental design as it is applied to plant breeding desired.
- Vegetable crop specific research experience is plus (Pepper, Tomato or Cucumber).
Applicants please send resumes to: email@example.com
We offer very competitive salaries and an extensive benefits package.
Monsanto is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse combination of ideas, perspectives and cultures. EEO/AA EMPLOYER M/F/D/V
More positions from: Monsanto Company
Posted from July 18, 2012 until January 18, 2013
SeedQuest reference number: 28451