QDS Team Leader
Location: Parma, Idaho, USA
Within a defined region, manage the local team of Quality Development Specialists (QDS) and Quality Development Assistants (QDA), to ensure and to maintain the evaluation of quality factors and testing parameters of seed lots, foundation to commercial, is completed to assess seed quality and manage risk associated with the sale of those seed lots.
- Ensure the availability of adequate regional resources (personnel) in order to accommodate effective, reliable, verifiable, efficient and consistent QA information and data.
- Ensure local QDS Team is well trained, supported and continuing to professionally grow through the setting of SMART targets, routine team and individual meetings and effective coaching.
- Create long term planning for strategic growth in order to ensure the future availability and placement of resources.
- Local QA representative for non-crop specific issues including but not limited to: Production “Advice For Payment” (AFP), Logistics priorities and Customer Service “Certificate of Analysis”.
- Responsible for global and regional implementation and administration of QDS procedures and responsibilities to include but not limited to; risk assessment, quality improvement actions, resampling, QC test prioritization and seed lot evaluation.
- Ensure that the local QDS Team way of working is aligned globally and is consistent with other QDS Teams and other departments with which they interact.
- Responsible for achievement of QDS Team targets that are set every year by the global QDS Team to meet the goals, objectives and targets of the company, Operations Department and QA Department respectively.
Seed health protocols
- Ensure appropriate company seed health protocols are in place for the proper detection of seed borne diseases from foundation to commercial seed.
- Evaluate the risk associated with seed borne diseases based on industry trends and new developments, ensuring that necessary adjustments are made to test methods and protocols.
- Review and approve new global seed treatments for global crops ensuring proper protocols are being met.
Seed quality standards and process flow charts
- Set, maintain and internally communicate company global seed quality standards for responsible global crops based on information from the market, industry, academia, risk assessment and statistical possibilities in order to maintain global company standards.
- Set, maintain and internally communicate global and local process flow charts indicating all major process functions, timing of processes and the quality samples that will be taken after each major process in order to maintain global consistency.
- Ensure that all global procedures are complete and updated in order to obtain and maintain external accreditation.
Functional QDS Responsibilities
Seed lot evaluation and risk assessment
- Evaluate, analyze and interpret global and local quality data in order to manage risk associated with sale of those seed lots.
- Recommend to Production on payment of seed lots after quality evaluation in order to pay grower contracts in a timely and equitable manner.
- Communicate possible risks associated with the sale of seed lots to LCS and CSM to minimize liability.
- Analyze relevant global and local quality data in order to approve proposed seed lot blends.
- Evaluate current global and local quality testing and processing activities in order to ensure performance standards are being met; initiating changes and/or improvements.
- Select third party QC test companies and inform them of Nunhems priorities and concerns in order to ensure Nunhems quality standards are met.
Crop Operational REviews (CORE Meetings)
- Organize and conduct periodic global CORE meetings for responsible global crops providing a platform where crop standards, seed health protocols, operational challenges and bottlenecks will be reviewed as well addressed and solutions proposed.
- Approve the elevation of new varieties from Trial 1 to Trial 2 and from Trial 2 to Named status in order to ensure all QA requirements for new varieties are met.
- Approve the elevation of new seed forms and treatments and that the appropriate QC tests are in place to test their quality.
- Authorize new or revised QC test procedures for global crops.
Field performance and test results
- Analyze feedback from Sales regarding field performance in relation with QC test results to ensure that standards correlate to field performance and to identify tests needing optimization
- For assigned crop, coordinate the global customer complaint handling process to ensure proper investigation and communication of information is disseminated to appropriate personnel.
- Through continual communication and distribution of monthly reports, keep Global Head of QA informed of on-going crop issues and concerns.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture/Horticulture or related field.
- Ten years’ experience in the seed business, especially in a seed quality assurance area.
- Knowledge of seed health, seed physiology, production and operational techniques used within the company.
- Experience preferred in lab accreditations or certifications.
- Good people management skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Pro-active decision-making.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written. English language necessary.
- Should possess the following competencies: Analysing, Performance, and Organizing.
- Some domestic and international travel required.
For more information about Nunhems or to apply for this position, please visit www.nunhems.com.
Nunhems USA, Inc. offers a competitive wage base and benefits program.
Nunhems USA, Inc. is an EOE with a drug free work environment.
More positions from: Nunhems USA, Inc.
Posted from September 28, 2012 until March 28, 2013
SeedQuest reference number: 30177